[l10n-no] some remarks about the Bokmaal translations for nano

Benno Schulenberg bensberg at telfort.nl
Søn 20. Jun 2021 01:16:51 PDT

Hello Johnny,

Looking through some of nano's PO files, I noticed this:

  msgid "Directory '%s' is not writable"
  msgstr "Mappen «%s»"

It seems that something is missing from that msgstr.

Then I also noticed an inconsistency in how "..." is 'translated':

  grep -A1 'msgid .*\.\.\."' po/nb.po

It would be good if they all had the same form.  And I don't think
that a single-character ellipsis (…) looks good on a terminal.  If
it were a double-width character, it would be fine, but three dots
in a single cell...  Rather cramped.

Here there is an extra "=":

  msgid "--backupdir=<dir>"
  msgstr "--backupdir==<kat>"

In the output of 'nano --help' there is this line:

 -Q <reg.uttrykk> --quotestr=<reg.uttrykk>Regulært uttrykk for å matche sitering

It would look better if "reg.uttrykk" were abbreviated to "reg.utt."; what it is
an abbreviation of is shown right after it: "Regulært uttrykk...".

In the ^G help text I see this:

M-P              Vis usynlige tegn (mellomrom, tab, linjeskift osv.) skru på/av

But M-P makes only spaces and tabs visible, not newlines or any other whitespace.

Also in the ^G help text, the phrase that starts with "De to nederste linjene
viser..." occurs twice.  The first occurrence of that string is misplaced, as
are the two subsequent \n.

  msgid " [Case Sensitive]"
  msgstr " [skill mellom små og store bokstaver]"

  msgid " [Regexp]"

  msgstr " [Regulært uttrykk]"

The translations of these two should be really short, as they get added to a
prompt.  They are mere indicators that a toggle has been flipped -- they do
not need to express the concept completely.  So I would suggest to translate
them as "[Skill små/store]" and "[Reg.utt.]".

Benno