[l10n-no] some remarks about the Bokmaal translations for nano

Johnny A. Solbu johnny at solbu.net
Man 21. Jun 2021 16:23:19 PDT

On Sunday 20 June 2021 10:16, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
>   msgid "Directory '%s' is not writable"
>   msgstr "Mappen «%s»"
>
> It seems that something is missing from that msgstr.

Indeed it is. Good catch. :-)

I see you found a few other mishaps from me.
I'll comment on those that need som explanation as to why they were done that way.

> Then I also noticed an inconsistency in how "..." is 'translated'

The reason is quite simple: muscle memory.
For some reason I find it easier to just type «AltGr+.» which produces that.

I have done a Search & Replace on all instances.

>  -Q <reg.uttrykk> --quotestr=<reg.uttrykk>Regulært uttrykk for å matche sitering
>
> It would look better if "reg.uttrykk" were abbreviated to "reg.utt."; what it is
> an abbreviation of is shown right after it: "Regulært uttrykk...".

The shortest we can do in norwegian is actually «Reg. uttrykk».
This really is the shortest we can do it.

The norwegian translator team have a page called – translated – «Common word list for computer words in - bokmål» which is authorative as to what is suggested that we use.
http://i18n.skolelinux.no/nb/Fellesordl.eng-no.html

Besides, the english source msgid does not abreviate this it in its explanation of the string.

But what I _can_ do, is take it up on our norwegian translator mailinglist and ask if there is something that can be done.

> In the ^G help text I see this:
>
> M-P              Vis usynlige tegn (mellomrom, tab, linjeskift osv.) skru på/av
>
> But M-P makes only spaces and tabs visible, not newlines or any other whitespace.

> Also in the ^G help text, the phrase that starts with "De to nederste linjene
> viser..." occurs twice.  The first occurrence of that string is misplaced, as
> are the two subsequent \n.

According to the TP archive, these two was done by the previous translator.
I'll fix it.

>   msgid " [Case Sensitive]"
>   msgstr " [skill mellom små og store bokstaver]"

This is the same issue as with regexp.
This Not-so-short translation really is the shortest we can do it, in Norwegian.
We really do not have any other way to convey that something depends on the size of letters.

> So I would suggest to translate them as
> "[Skill små/store]"

The suggestion you give makes it ambiguous.
The suggestion would make a norwegian user think to them selves «Separate what?»

I have had live experiences of simultan/live translators in my church when we have american preachers visiting, where the american says something, and the norwegian sometimes speaks twice as long a sentence as the american did, taking twice the amount of time.

This is not a new problem, and in nano, the existing norwegian string is the shortes possible string we can do.

--
Johnny A. Solbu
web site,   https://www.solbu.net